Page 2 of 3

Posted: Tue Aug 31, 2004 10:10 pm
by wagordy
The schedule should flip flop each year. Because it does matter if you have a few key games at the end of the season and if you have been stuck on the road every year it would suck.

Posted: Tue Aug 31, 2004 10:27 pm
by wagordy
Oh, I just noticed my last two games have been on the road against the same teams for the last several years. (I only went back 3 years, I was 1-5). Ok that does suck. Flip flop please.

Posted: Wed Sep 01, 2004 6:20 am
by Jonathan S.
You don't care!?! I don't care if you don't care; that's not a good excuse. It isn't fair. And from the reaction of others on this topic, it appears that it does matter. Just because YOU don't care doesn't mean that it is right. Your attitude is pissing me off. I threw in conspiracy as an exaggeration, but it isn't fair, and you should change it.

Posted: Wed Sep 01, 2004 6:52 am
by wolfe
You people are confusing symmetry with fairness.

There is nothing statistically unfair about having a home game in Week 1 every year.

The only reason the non-division games are flipped is because it balances out in the long run. Flipping divisional games DOES NOT MATTER!

Posted: Wed Sep 01, 2004 7:20 am
by Jonathan S.
Confusing symmetry with fairness? From Meriam's Online Thesauras:

Entry Word: symmetry
Function: noun
Text: beauty of form or arrangement arising from balanced proportions <the superb symmetry of the design>
Synonyms balance, harmony, proportion
Related Word arrangement, order; agreement, conformity; equality, evenness, regularity; rhythm; finish

How is it equal to have the same teams start on the road every year? Explain that? How is it equal to have the same teams finish at home every year? Or, should I say, how is that symmetrical?

Posted: Wed Sep 01, 2004 9:25 pm
by wolfe
Thanks for the thesaurus entry. Very helpful. And I never stated that the schedule was symmetric.

I still haven't seen any proof that this schedule is unfair. You can rearrange any schedule any way you want and get different results for each season, but that doesn't say anything about fairness. Having a different schedule does not make it more fair. Everyone has 7 home games. If the schedule was flipped everyone would still have 7 home games.

Once again, a different schedule is not any less or any more fair.

I know what will happen next. Why do I always open the season against so-and-so? How come I always end the season with this other team? Why do I always play Team X in Week Y at location Z? I would support a 3- or 6-year rotation for divisional games to add variety. But I will not simply flip the schedule to make it more "fair" because this concept of "fairness" (or lack thereof) in the schedule is completely non-existent.

We've been using this same schedule for several years now. I don't have any problem with changing the schedule, but I'm not going to do it on a whim for the principle of "fairness" just because someone stomps their feet and shouts the loudest.

The only reason I've been so contrary on this post is the way that it was presented. Inflammatory subject lines and untrue accusations is a good way to put anyone on the defensive. It's a pretty strong accusation to say that I'm conspiring against you, Smallwood. In fact, switching the 2003 schedule the way you suggested would give the Arthur Andersens a worse record and wouldn't change the Sheffield Feagle Eagle record. Must be a consipiracy, right? I guess you could claim I created a schedule to keep you down. But why would I give your team 3 straight home games to end the season? Don't you see that as an advantage to you? No one else gets that schedule. And if this is such a strong disadvantage for you, why is your MTFFL I team the most successful over the last 2 years? Are you really that good?

Gotta go now. I'm out of beer so I need to make a drink and watch Dick Cheney on the tube.

Posted: Thu Sep 02, 2004 2:42 am
by Agitator
good points, jeff...



what do you think about it smallwood?

Posted: Thu Sep 02, 2004 6:34 am
by Jonathan S.
Inflammatory subject lines? Bull-Shit??? If you noticed, perhaps you didn't, those are question marks, not exclamation points.

Jeff, do you read whole posts, or just those parts that you can use in your argument? I started out questioning why six teams open up on the road this year? I asked....

Why is it that the same six teams, The Oompas, Donkey Kongs, Yankees, Zippers, Knuckledraggers, and Eagles are opening up on the road again this year? Each of these teams, or at least the embodiment of those teams have opened on the road since 2000. Oh, and get this only Sheffield has opened up with both games on the road since 2000. The Eagles and the Oompas have both opened up the first two games on the road since 2002. What gives here commish!?

As I explained in another post on this topic; I threw in the conspiracy term as an exaggeration. I ask you every year why I have to start on the road, you always give the same response; "wouldn't you rather finish at home against your divisional foes?" Well, so what? I am tired of opening up the season on the road, year after year, and on the subject of fairness, you still haven't explained how it is fair for the SAME teams to open up against HFA year after year. Sure, they might finish up at home with the HFA, but why can't the schedule flop from year to year? Why would it be so difficult for you to flop these schedules from season to season? It wouldn't be very difficult for you at all.

It appears to be that you have politicized this topic, and you won't back down from your position. Did I slight you? If so, I didn't mean to, but I feel you are taking the wrong position here. It appears that I am not alone in my quest to flop the schedule. You claim that the concept of fairness, in regards to our schedule, is non-existent, I agree; but it seems to me that it would exist if those games were flopped from year to year.

Also, I accuse you of nothing, other than being sutbborn.

Posted: Thu Sep 02, 2004 6:36 am
by Jonathan S.
Stubborn.

Posted: Thu Sep 02, 2004 6:36 am
by Jonathan S.
Stubborn.