Page 1 of 3
Science!
Posted: Fri Aug 18, 2006 10:12 am
by wolfe
How many planets are there 8? 9? 12? 23?
Pluto isn't a planet! I love it. Everyone is in a panic because Pluto may not be considered a planet.
Posted: Fri Aug 18, 2006 11:13 am
by Agitator
Pluto is a dog !!!!
Posted: Fri Aug 18, 2006 12:36 pm
by bilyeuofbaxter
I think the classification is a pluton. However, in the Sept. issue of Discover they claim that Pluto will be named a planet along with a few others. Most namely one between Earth and Mars. What is really behind this is the want of a definition for what actually makes something a planet. The definition that could save Pluto as a planet is... an object that orbits the Sun and has been pulled into a near spherical shape by its own gravity. This definition would drastically increase the number of "planets" in our solar system. Which many people don't like, what the hell do they have to lose or gain from this. I have always wanted a clear definition on what makes or does not make something a planet. SCIENCE RULES!!!!!!!, unless you're from Kansas, then God made it all and you're gonna go to hell for askin' such questions.
Posted: Fri Aug 18, 2006 12:47 pm
by Agitator
you know too much about this....
Posted: Fri Aug 18, 2006 1:03 pm
by wolfe
You know too little.
I think the most interesting part about this issue is the social revolt over reclassifying Pluto and other objects as planets. People object to this solely because they may not be able to easily memorize all the "planets" in our solar system.
Posted: Fri Aug 18, 2006 1:09 pm
by wolfe
An official definition of a planet will be decided on August 24. I saw two hour-long shows last week about this issue, plus it's on all the nightly news shows, plus USA today had an article on this yesterday. Mick, how do you NOT know about this?
Posted: Fri Aug 18, 2006 1:28 pm
by Agitator
pluto is a planet... whether or not it fits the classic defintion, i have no idea.
Posted: Fri Aug 18, 2006 1:30 pm
by Agitator
plus i'm too busy scheming on how i'm going to kick all of your scientific asses! (scientifically speaking, fo course)
Posted: Fri Aug 18, 2006 3:02 pm
by Jonathan S.
I read that there may be as many as 50 planets in our solar system if the most popular definition of a planet is selected. David has quoted above; so, I'll not bother. But it further defines that a planet cannot be a satellite of another body.
Posted: Fri Aug 18, 2006 3:40 pm
by bilyeuofbaxter
That's what I said a booty trap. Yes, it must orbit the sun, not another celestial body.