2012 Playoffs
- wagordy
- Smack Talking Beast
- Posts: 593
- Joined: Tue Apr 29, 2003 9:59 pm
- Name: Will Gordy
- MTFFL: Nashville Salamanders *2010*
- Location: Stuck in Paydirt!!!
Re: 2012 Playoffs
Folesed again!
Nashville Salamanders, the only team to win a division with a sub .500 record.
-
wildest fantasy
- Smack Room Creeper
- Posts: 35
- Joined: Tue Sep 04, 2007 8:35 am
- Name: Eric Slayton
- MTFFL: Ossified Beatniks *2008, 2009, 2011*
Re: 2012 Playoffs
Ok, if that’s what the league wants, but it doesn’t hurt to revisit these things sometimes. I’m just throwing out my ideas in case somebody hadn’t thought about it. Also, I don’t mean to suggest that Ernie’s team doesn’t deserve a playoff spot (more on that later). What I’m saying is there are two other teams that deserve it based on H2H records and we are a H2H league.
Again, we rank based on overall H2H records with individual matchup H2H tie breakers for all positions except one. For that 4th spot we are a points race league. It’s that departure from the whole format that offends my engineering brain’s sense of order. If we’re a H2H league, let’s be a H2H league. If we think H2H is imperfect for the 4th spot, isn’t it equally imperfect for all other spots?
Also, I am suggesting that the rule to put the high scoring team in 4th spot seems to be a recognition by the league that H2H is not always a measure of a team’s strength and we want the strongest teams in the playoffs. But, in fact, the points total may not be the best indicator either. What if a consistently average scoring team blows up a couple weeks for over 250 points and beats out a solid above average scoring team on total? Instead of compensating for a strong team that may have had a couple weeks of bad luck we’re just rewarding an average team that may have had a couple weeks of good luck. Is that fair? Power rank, guys. That’s what it’s for.
Again, we rank based on overall H2H records with individual matchup H2H tie breakers for all positions except one. For that 4th spot we are a points race league. It’s that departure from the whole format that offends my engineering brain’s sense of order. If we’re a H2H league, let’s be a H2H league. If we think H2H is imperfect for the 4th spot, isn’t it equally imperfect for all other spots?
Also, I am suggesting that the rule to put the high scoring team in 4th spot seems to be a recognition by the league that H2H is not always a measure of a team’s strength and we want the strongest teams in the playoffs. But, in fact, the points total may not be the best indicator either. What if a consistently average scoring team blows up a couple weeks for over 250 points and beats out a solid above average scoring team on total? Instead of compensating for a strong team that may have had a couple weeks of bad luck we’re just rewarding an average team that may have had a couple weeks of good luck. Is that fair? Power rank, guys. That’s what it’s for.
"You agree not to post any abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, sexually-oriented or any other material that may violate any applicable laws."
Smackroom? What the hell am I gonna talk about - lipstick and lollipops?
Smackroom? What the hell am I gonna talk about - lipstick and lollipops?
-
wildest fantasy
- Smack Room Creeper
- Posts: 35
- Joined: Tue Sep 04, 2007 8:35 am
- Name: Eric Slayton
- MTFFL: Ossified Beatniks *2008, 2009, 2011*
Re: 2012 Playoffs
Well, I was gonna post more but I just realized this is getting long and I'm tired. So, tomorrow while my team is schooling you chumps on the field, I'll try to have a clinic here to school you guys about why Ernie should be in, I should be out, points race kills competition, and how this league is like an orgy!
"You agree not to post any abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, sexually-oriented or any other material that may violate any applicable laws."
Smackroom? What the hell am I gonna talk about - lipstick and lollipops?
Smackroom? What the hell am I gonna talk about - lipstick and lollipops?
- woody
- Smack Room Regular
- Posts: 247
- Joined: Sat Jul 03, 2004 12:31 pm
- Name: Jason Woody
- MTFFL: Nashville Knuckledraggers
- Location: I'm right here man
Re: 2012 Playoffs
What is this "playoff" word everyone keeps using? The season ends after Week 14, right? You mean to tell me you guys have been having games in Weeks 15 &16 without the Knuckledraggers? This is an outrage.
Cover it with gas and set it on fire!
- wagordy
- Smack Talking Beast
- Posts: 593
- Joined: Tue Apr 29, 2003 9:59 pm
- Name: Will Gordy
- MTFFL: Nashville Salamanders *2010*
- Location: Stuck in Paydirt!!!
Re: 2012 Playoffs
I am sorry you had to find out this way.woody wrote:What is this "playoff" word everyone keeps using? The season ends after Week 14, right? You mean to tell me you guys have been having games in Weeks 15 &16 without the Knuckledraggers? This is an outrage.
Nashville Salamanders, the only team to win a division with a sub .500 record.
- wagordy
- Smack Talking Beast
- Posts: 593
- Joined: Tue Apr 29, 2003 9:59 pm
- Name: Will Gordy
- MTFFL: Nashville Salamanders *2010*
- Location: Stuck in Paydirt!!!
Re: 2012 Playoffs
Also, I think I am about another quarter of real football away from conceding defeat in my game. It is a lost cause already.
Nashville Salamanders, the only team to win a division with a sub .500 record.
-
wolfe
- The Commish
- Posts: 3620
- Joined: Tue Apr 29, 2003 4:52 pm
- Name: Jeff Wolfe
- MTFFL: Z-Town Zippers *1998, 2018*
- MTFFL II: Beer Swillers
- Location: MTFFL International Headquarters
- Contact:
Re: 2012 Playoffs
Eric,
Those are all good points. Keep the discussion going, because this is the only time of year that people seem to voice opinions. Many of the league owners don't come here for discussions until September.
Keep in mind that Head-to-Head is a significant part of the Power Rank on MyFantasyLeague.com.
http://football27.myfantasyleague.com/2 ... nk+formula
Points per Starter average +
Points per Bench average +
Average All Wins per Week +
Actual wins +
Division wins
So actually a division win is doubled in the formula. I think Points-per-Bench would add a different draft strategy for most people.
Those are all good points. Keep the discussion going, because this is the only time of year that people seem to voice opinions. Many of the league owners don't come here for discussions until September.
Keep in mind that Head-to-Head is a significant part of the Power Rank on MyFantasyLeague.com.
http://football27.myfantasyleague.com/2 ... nk+formula
Points per Starter average +
Points per Bench average +
Average All Wins per Week +
Actual wins +
Division wins
So actually a division win is doubled in the formula. I think Points-per-Bench would add a different draft strategy for most people.
The rules are fair. The regulations are fair.
- wagordy
- Smack Talking Beast
- Posts: 593
- Joined: Tue Apr 29, 2003 9:59 pm
- Name: Will Gordy
- MTFFL: Nashville Salamanders *2010*
- Location: Stuck in Paydirt!!!
Re: 2012 Playoffs
Congrats Punishers! I gave you very little resistance .... not my best game. Good Luck next week.
Nashville Salamanders, the only team to win a division with a sub .500 record.
- the Man, the Myth...
- Smack Talking Beast
- Posts: 643
- Joined: Mon May 17, 2004 12:23 pm
- Name: John Flatt
- MTFFL: Putnam Punishers *2012, 2013, 2016*
- MTFFL II: Smyrna Havoc *2011, 2012*
- Location: Murfreesboro,TN
-
eazye187
- Smack Room Regular
- Posts: 177
- Joined: Wed May 30, 2007 2:45 pm
- Name: Ernie Goens
- MTFFL: Eazy's Rockers *2015*
Re: 2012 Playoffs
So much for that...wildest fantasy wrote:So, tomorrow while my team is schooling you chumps on the field
Ernie