Bridge Collapse
-
bilyeuofbaxter
- Smack Talking Beast
- Posts: 940
- Joined: Sat Aug 09, 2003 9:14 am
- Name: David Bilyeu
- MTFFL: Omicron Persei 8's
- Location: Milky Way Galaxy
Bridge Collapse
I wonder what caused the bridge to collapse. Very sad and scary.
I'm not cheating. I'm just trying to get away with stuff.
- Oompa Midgets
- SmackBot 3000
- Posts: 4335
- Joined: Wed May 07, 2003 2:10 pm
- Name: Anthony Fowler
- MTFFL: Oompa Loompas *2004,2007*
- MTFFL II: Bitter Midgets *2008, 2009, 2010*
- Location: Willy Wonka's Chocolate Factory
- Contact:
- Oompa Midgets
- SmackBot 3000
- Posts: 4335
- Joined: Wed May 07, 2003 2:10 pm
- Name: Anthony Fowler
- MTFFL: Oompa Loompas *2004,2007*
- MTFFL II: Bitter Midgets *2008, 2009, 2010*
- Location: Willy Wonka's Chocolate Factory
- Contact:
- Jonathan S.
- God of Smack Talk
- Posts: 2955
- Joined: Wed Apr 30, 2003 8:13 am
- Name: Jonathan Smallwood
- MTFFL: Sheffield Feagle Eagles *1999,2002,2003,2006,2021*
- MTFFL II: Gainesboro by Gods *2006*
- Location: Up in the UC
They said that it had not been ruled out, but that is was unlikely that terrorism had anything to do with it.
I also heard that the chief theory behind the collapse is that the problem was structural in nature.
So, David, with your knowledge of structural integrity, what could have happened?
I also heard that the chief theory behind the collapse is that the problem was structural in nature.
So, David, with your knowledge of structural integrity, what could have happened?
You better get on your knees and pray...Sheffield and Gainesboro are on the way.
-
bilyeuofbaxter
- Smack Talking Beast
- Posts: 940
- Joined: Sat Aug 09, 2003 9:14 am
- Name: David Bilyeu
- MTFFL: Omicron Persei 8's
- Location: Milky Way Galaxy
It apparently was a brittle failure, which is not supposed to happen. When designing a concrete structure, concrete = brittle, the engineer must put enough steel in the concrete to let it start to deform and therefore give warning before failure. Too much steel in the concrete could also cause a failure without warning. But I don't think excessive loading was an issue. I don't know if the deck, piers, foundation or beams failed first. I think I heard that the bridge was built in 1967 and that would mean it was likely put together with rivets. They are more likely to fail due to repeated loads, fatigue, than are bolts. That is where I would look first, the connections, with such a catastrophic failure.
I'm not cheating. I'm just trying to get away with stuff.
-
wolfe
- The Commish
- Posts: 3620
- Joined: Tue Apr 29, 2003 4:52 pm
- Name: Jeff Wolfe
- MTFFL: Z-Town Zippers *1998, 2018*
- MTFFL II: Beer Swillers
- Location: MTFFL International Headquarters
- Contact:
http://www.tennessean.com/apps/pbcs.dll ... /708270364
"...170 Middle Tennessee bridges received inspection ratings lower than the bridge that collapsed in Minneapolis..."
"...170 Middle Tennessee bridges received inspection ratings lower than the bridge that collapsed in Minneapolis..."
The rules are fair. The regulations are fair.