Bridge Collapse

Politics. Music. Movies. TV. Rants. Ravings. Nudity. Oddballity.
Post Reply
bilyeuofbaxter
Smack Talking Beast
Posts: 940
Joined: Sat Aug 09, 2003 9:14 am
Name: David Bilyeu
MTFFL: Omicron Persei 8's
Location: Milky Way Galaxy

Bridge Collapse

Post by bilyeuofbaxter »

I wonder what caused the bridge to collapse. Very sad and scary.
I'm not cheating. I'm just trying to get away with stuff.
User avatar
Oompa Midgets
SmackBot 3000
Posts: 4335
Joined: Wed May 07, 2003 2:10 pm
Name: Anthony Fowler
MTFFL: Oompa Loompas *2004,2007*
MTFFL II: Bitter Midgets *2008, 2009, 2010*
Location: Willy Wonka's Chocolate Factory
Contact:

Post by Oompa Midgets »

did your company design it???
wolfe
The Commish
Posts: 3620
Joined: Tue Apr 29, 2003 4:52 pm
Name: Jeff Wolfe
MTFFL: Z-Town Zippers *1998, 2018*
MTFFL II: Beer Swillers
Location: MTFFL International Headquarters
Contact:

Post by wolfe »

What bridge?
Was it in Kerblakastan? Because I can't find any local news stories about it.
The rules are fair. The regulations are fair.
User avatar
Oompa Midgets
SmackBot 3000
Posts: 4335
Joined: Wed May 07, 2003 2:10 pm
Name: Anthony Fowler
MTFFL: Oompa Loompas *2004,2007*
MTFFL II: Bitter Midgets *2008, 2009, 2010*
Location: Willy Wonka's Chocolate Factory
Contact:

Post by Oompa Midgets »

User avatar
woody
Smack Room Regular
Posts: 247
Joined: Sat Jul 03, 2004 12:31 pm
Name: Jason Woody
MTFFL: Nashville Knuckledraggers
Location: I'm right here man

Post by woody »

I heard on the news this morning that terrorism has not been ruled out.

Boo terrorism!
Cover it with gas and set it on fire!
User avatar
Jonathan S.
God of Smack Talk
Posts: 2955
Joined: Wed Apr 30, 2003 8:13 am
Name: Jonathan Smallwood
MTFFL: Sheffield Feagle Eagles *1999,2002,2003,2006,2021*
MTFFL II: Gainesboro by Gods *2006*
Location: Up in the UC

Post by Jonathan S. »

They said that it had not been ruled out, but that is was unlikely that terrorism had anything to do with it.

I also heard that the chief theory behind the collapse is that the problem was structural in nature.

So, David, with your knowledge of structural integrity, what could have happened?
You better get on your knees and pray...Sheffield and Gainesboro are on the way.
bilyeuofbaxter
Smack Talking Beast
Posts: 940
Joined: Sat Aug 09, 2003 9:14 am
Name: David Bilyeu
MTFFL: Omicron Persei 8's
Location: Milky Way Galaxy

Post by bilyeuofbaxter »

It apparently was a brittle failure, which is not supposed to happen. When designing a concrete structure, concrete = brittle, the engineer must put enough steel in the concrete to let it start to deform and therefore give warning before failure. Too much steel in the concrete could also cause a failure without warning. But I don't think excessive loading was an issue. I don't know if the deck, piers, foundation or beams failed first. I think I heard that the bridge was built in 1967 and that would mean it was likely put together with rivets. They are more likely to fail due to repeated loads, fatigue, than are bolts. That is where I would look first, the connections, with such a catastrophic failure.
I'm not cheating. I'm just trying to get away with stuff.
User avatar
woody
Smack Room Regular
Posts: 247
Joined: Sat Jul 03, 2004 12:31 pm
Name: Jason Woody
MTFFL: Nashville Knuckledraggers
Location: I'm right here man

Post by woody »

I take back everything I've ever said about you.
Cover it with gas and set it on fire!
wolfe
The Commish
Posts: 3620
Joined: Tue Apr 29, 2003 4:52 pm
Name: Jeff Wolfe
MTFFL: Z-Town Zippers *1998, 2018*
MTFFL II: Beer Swillers
Location: MTFFL International Headquarters
Contact:

Post by wolfe »

http://www.tennessean.com/apps/pbcs.dll ... /708270364

"...170 Middle Tennessee bridges received inspection ratings lower than the bridge that collapsed in Minneapolis..."
The rules are fair. The regulations are fair.
Post Reply